CAROLINE SMAILES

Freaks!: It’s Publication Day

If, when I emailed a short story to Nik in August 2010, you’d told me that it would be published in an illustrated collection of short stories I’d have laughed (loudly). Because writing that story was never about being published, no, it was about me writing again. I’d stopped writing, hadn’t written anything for a year. Writing short stories was to help me to remember why I loved writing, and those short stories did help, more than I can begin to tell you.

But twenty months on, fifty stories later, fifty illustrations later, a ridiculous amount of emails, a silly amount of phone calls, countless pots of tea, too many slices of cake, numerous disagreements and much laughter… we got there.

TODAY ‘Freaks!’ is published as a paperback and as an eBook. And to launch this collection of fifty short stories, each featuring a character with a real or imagined super power (co-authored with Nik Perring, illustrated by Darren Craske), a number of VERY FABULOUS folk are hosting one of the stories and an illustration on their blog (thank you, lovely folk!)

And, over on Twitter, we’re having a bit of a competition:

So, would you like to help us launch ‘Freaks!’ ? And would you like the wonderful Darren Craske to draw you, in all your super glory? Yes? Well, all you have to do is:

• Tweet one of us ( @Caroline_S, @darrencraske or @nikperring)
  • And tell us your ideal super power
  • And make sure you use the hashtag #FREAKS

And the prize for the BEST ideal super power (I think Mr Pack is judging) is an illustraion of the winner, as a superhero, for them to use as their Twitter avatar! Oh, yes, you will be made super!

Oh, and, Happy Publication Day, Mr Craske. And, Happy Publication Day, Mr Perring. And, Happy Publication Day, Me.

Related Articles:

18 Comments

• Posted April 12, 2012 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Happy publication day to you all. I tweeted a super power to The Friday Project instead of one of you three. Ooops! I said autism is my super power…I would love to have a specially designed avatar depicting an autism super hero!

• Darren Craske
    Posted April 12, 2012 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Happy Pub Day, Coraline. x

• Angi
    Posted April 12, 2012 at 9:36 am | Permalink

I don’t tweet, so won’t be playing today’s game of superheroes, but just wanted to drop by & wish you all a Happy Publication Day! xx

• Posted April 12, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

I have to tell you, it’s been a crappy ass week thus far. But coming home to my copy of FREAKS! waiting for me in my mail box was a lovely surprise and the perfect capper to the day as it meant it ended on a happy note. :) I’m five stories into it and LOVING all of the stories so far. Best collection EVER! Will tweet away later this morning! Congrats to all three of you. The stories are wonderful and the cover and illustrations are top notch and really help the stories leap off the page. In short, amazing. Can’t wait to keep reading! It’s the first paperback I’ve read in months! And I’m glad it’s FREAKS! I really relate to the book as I’ve been told I’m a freak countless times and often feel like one, too. But the book makes being a Freak fabulous! AWESOME!

• Posted April 12, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Happy publication day!!
    lx

• Posted April 12, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Love and Luck on your publication day! Freaks is an amazing, unique and fascinating collection – well done you!xx

• Posted April 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Happy Publication Day. I’m honoured that one of the stories is on my blog tomorrow!

• Old Kitty
    Posted April 13, 2012 at 9:48 am | Permalink

I don’t have a tweet account but I wish you and Nik Perring and Mr Craske well with your wonderful publication day!! I’m also glad it’s out on paperback! Yay!

All the best!

Take care
    x

• Posted April 15, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

I shan’t enter the competition (I think I’m too late) but, for the record, I would like to state that my ideal superpower would be rail travel. x