So, a week ago I blogged a writing challenge to celebrate the launch of Xbox Live TV, and its integration with YouTube. I’d decided that it’d be a good idea to put together a collection of flash fiction stories, all inspired by songs on YouTube. And I’d decided that the collection would be published as an eBook on Amazon with ALL money collected going to the charity One in Four (a registered charity which provides support and resources to people who have experienced sexual abuse and sexual violence).
My personal aim was for a collection of 33 stories (think RPM), so I hoped for about 50 entries and set the deadline leaving the judges a single day to read them all. But, as is often the case with me, things didn’t quite turn out that way.
So – one week on:
- Over 350 entries.
- An overwhelming amount of RTs and shares and emails offering help (you lot are ace!).
- Judges volunteered (they have been amazing).
- Judges read all of the stories and decided on the 100 stories that would go in the collection.
- I read all of the chosen entries and listened to every song that inspired and emailed each author.
- Becky Adams (she designed/hand-stitched both the covers for my novel ‘Like Bees to Honey’ and novella ’99 Reasons Why’) agreed to design the front cover.
- There is talk of a singer-songwriter, mid-1980s pop-teen-idol-star writing the foreword.
- And the title has been narrowed down to ’100 RPM’, ’100 WPM’, or ‘Juke Box Stories’ or ‘Juke Box Stories: 100 WPM’ or something else. I am taking advice from a publisher.
It’s been quite a week (who needs sleep?).
Next it’ll all be about the title, about editing, arranging an order and proofing.
But. And this is the bit that I both love and hate. Today I announce the writers who will have stories in the collection. Some have more than one. I know that this means that some people I really like and think are very amazing will not be in the collection. I’m sorry. This was not my decision.
But it also means that lots of VERY fabulous authors will be in the collection and there’s such a range of amazing stories in there. I’m stupidly excited.
And so I offer my congratulations and thanks to the following authors (in no particular order). They will all have stories in the collection:
Rowan Coleman, Angi Holden, Matthew Borgard, Stephen Shieber, Matt Hill, Pat O’Connor.
Nasim Marie Jafry, Sylvia Petter, Cally Taylor, Angela Readman, Ray Robinson.
Katie Gunn, Angela Powers, Nick Cernis, Sophie Mackintosh, Peter Lewis, Laura Crosby.
Dan Purdue, Stephanie Ressort, Jessica Patient, Ryan Millar, Máire Carr, Dave Cornmell.
Ruth Aird, Nicola De Gouveia, D. J. Kirkby, Elizabeth Player, Dan Powell, Michelle Flatley.
Isabel Serval, Sara Crowley, Lynsey May, Simon Kewin, Fat Roland, Cathy White.
Karl McIntyre, David Kendrick, Vikki Ross, Alison Woodhouse, Scott Pack, Sal Page.
Helen Ladderbird, Hannah Harman, Catherine Walter, Suzy Floyd, Sonya Oldwin.
Sam Wyld, Rachel N Joy, Emma J. Lannie, Annie Evett, Jennifer M Schmidt, Anna Cardus.
Jodie Ansted, Red Morgan, D.E. Oprava, Donna Henderson, Xenia Smith, Louise Pearson.
Cassie Morrison, Cassandra Parkin, Sam Thewlis, Polly Burns, Pete Domican, Hannah Simpson.
Crystal Schwanke, Jennifer Domingo, Katherine Lewis, L J Hart-Collins, Lorna Louise Hutchinson.
Rebecca Emin, Caroline Luxford-Noyes, Edward Price, Carole McDonnell, Sarah Dunnakey.
Teresa Nusbaum, Simon Kearns, Mike Bursell, Lisa Richardson, Cath Bore, Edie Best, Alex Brown.
Tracy Tidswell, Sylvia Kelso, Kim Smith, J Bateman-Irish, Sarah Hutchinson, PC Wheeler.
Jamieson Wolf, Theresa Milstein, Jacqueline Christodoulou.